Saturday, July 15, 2006

Babies were Born to be Breastfed

Last night I watched the 20/20 segment on breastfeeding. It didn't really take a stand on breastfeeding, but mostly asked if the new ads by the government were too offensive. They make the statement that babies who are formula-fed are at higher risk than those who are breastfed. Actually, I thought they were pretty funny - a pregnant woman riding a mechanical bull. During the ad, an announcer asks the question, if you wouldn't take these risks before having the baby, why after? And then the tagline (which I love) - Babies were born to be breastfed.

In several of the online communities I'm a member of, most moms think that these ads only make the mother feel bad. The general consensus is that it's counter-productive to do that. By the way, these are very pro-breastfeeding communities. I guess I've been thinking lately, what's the problem with making people feel bad? This will sound harsh, but what's the big deal with the mother's feelings? Aren't we concerned about the baby? I mean, moms who truly can't but want to breastfeed, already feel bad. I'm thankful there's formula for those moms. But, if they've done their research, they already know that it's not as good for their babies. I feel bad I had three c-sections. I wish my children would have had a better beginning to their lives than being cut out of me. Do I regret going that route? Absolutely. Was it the best choice with the information I had then? Absolutely. The moms who get defensive are the ones who know they could have breastfed but chose not too. The breastfeeding rates in this country are way too low. What we're doing now isn't working. I'm glad the government is taking a risk on these ads. If nothing else, we're talking about it.

No comments: