Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Our Homeschool Schedule

I keep telling myself that we're going to keep this year super relaxed and low-key. I mean, it's just kindergarten and ds is already reading etc. So, if I did nothing this year, he could still go into 1st grade next year. I really want to focus on getting into a good routine and creating some good habits for the whole family. I'm reading Charlotte Mason's books on educating children and am most drawn to that method right now. (Of course that could change next week. lol) She recommends no formal schooling for 6 yo and under. I've decided to go ahead and continue with some phonics and maybe start some math. After trying to add in a ton of stuff and then paring it down again, here's what I've come up with:

Morning Checklist:
Breakfast
Bible
Prayer
Calendar/Weather
Chores
Phonics
Copywork
Math
Nature walk/journal
Outdoor time

Lunch Checklist:
Lunch
Spanish
Reading lots of good books
Science/History/Geography
Quiet time

Tea Time:
Snack
Composer/Artist/Poetry

Bedtime:
Chapter Book

After typing it out, it still looks like quite a bit. I want to keep everything really short. Copywork will be one letter, phonics will probably just be some word groups, not sure on math. We'll use reading lists to read good children's literature. The history/geography/science will be really low-key. I know we're going to watch a butterfly grow, maybe read some books about the presidents around Presidents Day and play with a globe. We're going to do the composer and artist from Ambleside Online and memorize some Mother Goose rhymes and/or Robert Louis Stevenson poems.

No comments: